Types Of Aid Available

Below is an overview of the various types of financial aid you may qualify to receive.

Federal Programs

Brown College offers access to federal financial aid programs for those who qualify, including:

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program is a grant from the Federal government that does not have to be repaid. The Pell Grant may only be awarded to certificate and degree-seeking students who have not already obtained a bachelor’s degree. The award amount is based on a student’s financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.

Federal Secondary Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG program is for certificate and degree-seeking students with exceptional financial need. Federal Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contribution (EFC) will be considered first for a FSEOG. Just like Federal Pell Grant program, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid and is expected to be discontinued June 2016.

Department of Education Loans

In February 2009, President Obama submitted a budget proposal for fiscal year 2010 that provides all Stafford and PLUS loans for the 2010-11 and subsequent award years will be originated under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program.

  • The Federal Stafford Loan program is an affordable, low-interest loan, made available for students that attend and are enrolled at least half-time. Students who demonstrate financial need through the FAFSA application process may qualify for the subsidized loan. Interest for the unsubsidized loan starts accruing after the loan is disbursed.
  • Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student (PLUS) is available for parents of dependent students. Applications and repayment are through the department of education. Borrower must meet all-eligibility criteria, which includes being a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Eligible parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance that is not covered by financial aid.

Federal Work-Study Program

  • Federal Work-Study program (FWS) provides part-time jobs for certificate and degree-seeking students with a financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. This program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient’s course of study.

**It is recommended that you apply for financial aid loans as part of the application process. Keep in mind that the availability of some types of aid is limited and is more likely to be available if you apply early.

Veteran’s Benefits

Veteran’s benefits are available for those who qualify. Contact your local VA office for assistance. The Financial Aid Office certifies enrollment for this program.

Montgomery GI Bill

If you served in the Military, Army Reserve or the National Guard, you may be eligible to receive educational benefits while attending classes. You can receive up to $251 per month while you are a full-time student. In addition, you may qualify for Stafford loan repayment. Contact the local Army Reserve or National Guard Office for more information. The Financial Aid Office certifies enrollment for this program.

Learn More About Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Web Site Development by Partners Marketing Group

 Warning: You are using a browser that is out of date. To experience this site as it was intended, please upgrade your browser: Internet Explorer or Firefox.